October 01, 2013

Final Accutane Post

Hey there!

Long time, no talk. It’s been more than 3 months since my last Accutane post and this final update post is ridiculously overdue!



 My Accutane journey began in November and was what my dermatologist considered ideal. I didn't have any severe reactions to medication. If I recall correctly, I didn't experience any symptoms or noticeable improvements until I was a little past my 3 months mark.

Some of the symptoms I developed were dryness, dehydration, slightly low energy levels, some skin sensitivity; dry nose, upset stomach and a little more hair fall out than usual.

Now I’m definitely not going to sit here and say that I was the prefect patient when I was on the treatment. I tried to listen to my body. In the fifth month when my doctor upped my dosage I was careful to not take the extra pills unless I felt perfectly healthy. I believe that doctors do want what’s best for us but it is important to pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you.

Month 1
I was more than a little excited to start working on my skin.
 I was constantly washing my face and looking in the mirror.

Month 2
My skin felt smoother and scabs healed faster than usual. 
I did experience some minor break outs but I was happy with the progress.

Month 3
I started off the year with high hopes that my skin would improve dramatically. 
Sadly, I constantly felt very sick.

Month 4
This is when I started to feel comfortable with my skin. 
I started wearing less make-up and started to do my eyebrows! I apologize for the hideous caterpillars that I was showing you previously.
 I also became very lazy with my skincare.

Month 5
This is when other people really started to notice and comment on how amazing my skin looked.

Month 6
I honestly was sad to see Accutane go. I was also a little disappointed with how my skin looked after the acne was gone. 
I constantly thought about the times I picked at my skin. Or the giant nodes I use to get and how I would pierce them.

After Accutane
After I finished the treatment I felt extremely bitter. Accutane has a way of maintaining the appearance of your skin but once I was done it took a long time for it to balance out again. 

So, what has Accutane done for me? Well I have no node breakouts. No puffiness. My hair is growing like a weed now. My skin is normal and I have gotten even lazier with my skin. The bad? Prior to starting Accutane I had a very slight sensitivity to dairy. Guess what? I’m very close to being a full-fledged lactose intolerant. Just a couple more months and I promise you I will be. The odd thing is that only certain dairy products really upset me… like milk, yogurt and ice cream. There are other yummy foods out there but I’m a little sad.



Acne is odd. It affects your self-esteem when you have it and even now I constantly feel like I’m being robbed. I was such a happy outgoing individual and now I’m very reserved. I force myself daily to be a little more social and put myself out there but frankly it’s difficult. I have become accustom to being solo, only Mr. B and my family to keep me company.


I'm glad to be back.
I've missed you.
x0x0x

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what have you done for your scars? They look so much better!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean,

      Thank you so much for the compliment. I was lucky enough that the scars were still healing and were able to fade. At the beginning I used Egyptian Magic and definitely noticed improvement. The unfortunate part of my acne was that I had pockets where I had really bad acne. Those have never fully disappeared. Depending on the lighting you can actually see the holes. Anyway, for my skin routine I basically simplified everything. I started testing out basic cleansers and exposed my skin to mild exfoliates... Currently, I use NEUTROGENA® HEALTHY SKIN® BOOSTERS EXFOLIATING SCRUB and Eucerin Replenishing Face Creme with 5% Urea. I read somewhere that Urea is very important to healing skin. As for a toner I use Clarins Daily Energizer
      Wake-Up Booster (I used it at night). I find the toners make my skin purge which makes my skin look gross if I use it during the day.

      Delete

Hey Pretty Bee! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will try to get back to YOU ASAP! I will on occasion leave a heart () as a reply… meaning I read your comment